1) Disassemble the O-ring compression subassembly from the pipette support subassembly.
2) Insert the pipette through the support subassembly, and through the O-ring.
3) Lightly tighten the outside nut to clamp the pipette without crushing it.
4) Begin screwing the O-ring compression subassembly into the pipette support subassembly. See the two figures below showing the uncompressed O-ring.
5) Gently tighten the assembly until the O-ring is compressed around the pipette shaft. Be careful not to over-tighten. See the two figures below.