There are several way to identify a WK Controller:
ASI currently employs Silicon Laboratories’® CP210x USB-to-UART Bridge Virtual COM Port (VCP) in its WK-series controllers for emulated COM Port (RS-232) communication over USB connectivity.
To enable your computer’s USB ports to successfully communicate with ASI’s WK-series controllers, you need to download and install Silicon Labs® VCP Driver.
1. Go to https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx
2. Download the applicable VCP Driver Kit (Windows, Mac, or Linux).
3. Open or Save as desired.
4. Launch the first installer’s .exe file, and Run it.
5. Follow the steps to copy the second installer’s files to a folder.
6. Launch the second installer.
7. Choose the destination folder. Recommendation: C:\Program Files\ASI\Silicon Labs\MCU\CP210x
8. Install. Wait until the Success message.
9. Turn off the WK controller.
10. Connect the WK controller to a USB port.
11. Turn on the WK controller. Windows should display a series of messages as it automatically completes the driver installation.
12. Uninstall the first installer as appropriate.
The WK controller’s USB connection is a virtual serial port. To communicate with the WK controller via USB, use a serial port Terminal application such as Microsoft™ Windows® HyperTerminal® or AGG Software’s™ Advanced Serial Port Monitor©.
In a system with x-1 actual serial ports, your computer usually assigns to the WK controller’s USB virtual serial port the identity COMx. For example, in a system with COM1 and COM2, the WK controller’s virtual serial port should be COM3. Use Windows’ Device Manager to verify the assignment.
COMx exists only when the WK controller is powered on and connected. If you turn off and/or disconnect the WK controller during a session with a terminal application, you will have to close and re-open COMx when the power and/or connection is restored. However, if you reset the WK controller without cycling power, whether by command or by pushing the Reset button on the WK controller’s rear panel, the COMx connection should remain intact.
The Terminal application default settings for the WK controller’s virtual serial port are as follows:
For assistance with this software, feel free to call (541) 461-8181. In the United States and Canada, you may call (800) 706-2284. You may also send an e-mail to Support.
Copyright © Applied Scientific Instrumentation 2001 - 2013. All rights reserved.